[Translators] How do you manage two Claws Mail binary?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Fri Aug 5 21:47:06 CEST 2016

Hello if.gnu.linux,

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 22:35:17 +0300 "if.gnu.linux" <if.gnu.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 21:10:08 +0200
> wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello if.gnu.linux,
> >

> > On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 16:32:27 +0300 "if.gnu.linux"
> > <if.gnu.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > As you know before we send updated/new translations , we need to
> > > test them against new release. I suppose that you compile Claws
> > > Mail with updated/new translations then test it, and you do not
> > > want to mix existing Claws Mail, which is installed by your
> > > preferred distribution's package manager, with newly compiled one.
> > > So, how do you manage to keep two Claws Mail binary and not to mix
> > > them?
> > >
> > > What I do is:
> > > 1- Compile Claws mail
> > > ./configure --prefix=$HOME/claws-mail-git
> > > --exec-prefix=$HOME/claws-mail-git
> > >
> > > 2. Change claws-mail.desktop file
> > > Exec=$HOME/claws-mail-git/bin/claws-mail
> > > --alternate-config-dir $HOME/claws-mail-git/.claws-mail %u
> > >
> > > 3. Copy claws-mail.desktop as claws-git.desktop to
> > > ~/local/share/applications directory.
> > >
> > > I wonder if there is an another method that can help to me/us.
> >
> > I personally build 2 versions of CM in /opt (--prefix), and use 2 user
> > accounts to run them in parallel if needed. Light to put in place,
> > same system environment (so that you compare what can be compared),
> > no harm to each user respectively, their running configuration is
> > separated. If I would need more testing, for instance running in
> > other Linux boxes, or perfectly isolate a test bed, I would run in
> > VMs.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > wwp
>
> Hi wwp,
>
> How you manage two CM binary is similar to my method, if I understood
> you correctly but you use /opt directory instead of $HOME. There is one
> thing I could not understand from your e-mail. You mentioned two user
> accounts, how do you achieve this? By using
> --alternate-config-dir parameter?

/opt as prefix, /usr/local/ or /home, doesn't matter, there are zillion
ways to install several versions of the same product in a fs
(even, /etc/alternatives, but I guess it's not right to mention it
here).

I use two users: 'wwp' and 'test' (it's not the actual truth, I use
'johnsmith') and my passwords are.. hmm you don't want to know.
The 'test' user has just to be created from the appropriate interface
(Administration/"users and groups" if you're in GNOME, or `useradd` in
a terminal) and you may need root access for this (or at least to
authenticate current user again). Once the extra user is created, two
ways of running CM from it: either run a terminal, `su - test` then run
the CM binary you want, or "graphically" switch from current user to
the user using your desktop facility (log out/log in, or user switch).

Hope it's more clear and not more obfuscated now! ;-)

Regards,

--
wwp