[Translators] How do you manage two Claws Mail binary?

if.gnu.linux if.gnu.linux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 21:35:17 CEST 2016

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 21:10:08 +0200
wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello if.gnu.linux,
>

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 16:32:27 +0300 "if.gnu.linux"
> <if.gnu.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As you know before we send updated/new translations , we need to
> > test them against new release. I suppose that you compile Claws
> > Mail with updated/new translations then test it, and you do not
> > want to mix existing Claws Mail, which is installed by your
> > preferred distribution's package manager, with newly compiled one.
> > So, how do you manage to keep two Claws Mail binary and not to mix
> > them?
> >
> > What I do is:
> > 1- Compile Claws mail
> > ./configure --prefix=$HOME/claws-mail-git
> > --exec-prefix=$HOME/claws-mail-git
> >
> > 2. Change claws-mail.desktop file
> > Exec=$HOME/claws-mail-git/bin/claws-mail
> > --alternate-config-dir $HOME/claws-mail-git/.claws-mail %u
> >
> > 3. Copy claws-mail.desktop as claws-git.desktop to
> > ~/local/share/applications directory.
> >
> > I wonder if there is an another method that can help to me/us.
>
> I personally build 2 versions of CM in /opt (--prefix), and use 2 user
> accounts to run them in parallel if needed. Light to put in place,
> same system environment (so that you compare what can be compared),
> no harm to each user respectively, their running configuration is
> separated. If I would need more testing, for instance running in
> other Linux boxes, or perfectly isolate a test bed, I would run in
> VMs.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> wwp

Hi wwp,

How you manage two CM binary is similar to my method, if I understood
you correctly but you use /opt directory instead of $HOME. There is one
thing I could not understand from your e-mail. You mentioned two user
accounts, how do you achieve this? By using
--alternate-config-dir parameter?

Thank you for your reply.

With regards,
Numan Demirdöğen