[Users] Why does Claws-Mail keep crashing?

Leon Fisk lfiskgr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:48:38 UTC 2024

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:32:44 +0100
Marco Moock <mm at dorfdsl.de> wrote:

>Am 19.03.2024 schrieb Olaf Hering <olaf at aepfle.de>:
>
>> The file configure.ac in libetpan.git has --with-poll, which must be
>> yes. The used libetpan library was built incorrectly.
>
>Where does that need to be fixed?
>
>At least in Debian it depends on libetpan20.
>
>Should I report a bug there?

It (libetpan) needs to be built with:

./configure --with-poll

before doing the make.

I built the latest release from:

https://github.com/dinhvh/libetpan/releases/tag/1.9.4

the standard way (just configure) to get debug info. It segfaulted in
the same way as recently posted but with more detail of course. Next I
tried the build "--with-poll" and that has been running without any
segfaults for a little over 2 days now. Claws has NEVER run that long
without a segfault in the past several years. It seems the libetpan
developers made the change from using default parameters that included
"with-poll" to not including it in 2016:

https://github.com/dinhvh/libetpan/pull/243

Suspect the builds being done by my distro, Debian 12 just use the
defaults...

I'm not a developer, don't know what the repercussions are, if any
of doing this...

--
Leon
Claws 4.2.0, Debian