[Users] Font issues

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Mon Mar 18 14:45:38 UTC 2024

CM 4.2.0git65  (I see 4.2.0-2 just dropped)

Recently, I was adjusting my system fonts; since then, the CM fonts
displayed have me confused.

Since SC/CM, folder fonts have been the same size, colored and bold as
appropriate.

With Configuration>Preferences>Display>Fonts set to:
  Sans Regular
  Monospace Regular
  [X] Define email and bold fonts from Folder and Message Lists font **
  [all else disabled]

   ** this text is confusing, it seems to imply that Folders have font
      settings; but I don't see any Folder font settings.

Problem:

At startup, folder names with new|unread mail are tiny font, not bold,
sometimes white instead of black as the other folders. Selecting the
folder changes the white font to black until next CM restart; but the
font is still tiny.

To figure out what is going on:

I increased Folder and Message Lists font size; this affects:
 - Message List: size only; colors & bold are as expected.
 - headers in Message Pane track the above font size; the message text
has its own font size selector.
 - Folders with new and/or unread message counts (non-zero) have the tiny
font. As soon as all the new/unread messages are viewed the font size
returns to normal size; marking a message unread shrinks the font
again. CM1.png shows tiny, non-bold Inbox which has new messages. When
accessed, red changes to black, no bold (CM2.png). Finding folders with
new/unread messages is quite difficult on these old eyes; I have to scan
both columns looking for the tiny numbers without bold.

In summary:
- Folder name font size/color are normal when the new and unread column
  numbers are zero.
- New message(s): font is tiny with correct color(red); but not bold.
- Unread message(s): font is tiny with correct (selected) color; but
  not bold.

Restoring or using other system fonts hasn't helped. Am I missing another
setting, or is this a bug?

An idea I would love regardless of anything herein: in the new/unread
columns, do not display zeros (leave blank (optional))... would make
visual scanning for non-zero much easier.

Thanks,
Pierre

PS: System fonts:
  General: Oxygen-Sans 10
  Fixed width: Monospace 10
  Small: Oxygen-Sans 8
  Toolbar: Oxygen-Sans 9
  Menu: Oxygen-Sans 10
  Window Title:  Noto Sans 10

PPS: Still haven't found a solution to the missing icons...