[Users] Messages get filtered mysteriously.

Malachi Constant malachi42 at posteo.net
Sun Jul 21 11:59:31 UTC 2024

On Sun, 21 Jul 2024 11:04:20 -0000
Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2024 01:53:32 +0000
> Malachi Constant <malachi42 at posteo.net> wrote:
>
> > Recently I have had messages being mysteriously moved into my spam
> > folder.
> <snip>
> > Several recent messages have wound up in the spam folder, and I
> > can't see why.
>
> If you are using imap it could be that the imap server is moving
> those mails.

Thanks.  I am indeed using IMAP. But that wasn't the problem.  Please
see below.

> > (1) Is there a file (or are there files) in ~/.claws-mail in which
> > the filter rules are stored? I cannot find any such.  Ideally I
> > would like an ascii file that I could conveniently search.
> >
> > (2) I found a file called "filtering.log" that I thought might be
> > helpful, but it just says:
> >
> > [2024-07-21 11:31:06] * message: filtering log disabled
> >
> > How did it get disabled?  Is there anything I can do to re-enable
> > it? I've searched the help etc. and can find nothing about this.
>
> See /Configuration/Preferences/Other/Logging

Thanks.  That got me a readable "filtering.log" file.  After staring
at it for a while I finally discerned the problem.  Somehow I had put
in a filtering rule that triggered the move.  How I managed to do this
remains mysterious.  I certainly did not do it intentionally, and it's
hard to see how I could have done it by accident, even allowing for my
general ineptitude.

However I deleted that (spurious) rule, and now all is well.

My heartfelt thanks.

sincerely,

Unk