[Users] Microsoft Live (hotmail) oauth2 authentication always fails

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 16:35:24 UTC 2024

>From: Ettore Tagarelli <tagahect at gmail.com>
>To: users at lists.claws-mail.org
>Subject: [Users] Microsoft Live (hotmail) oauth2 authentication always fails
>
> Tried both (outlook and exchange). what should the right one be?

Hi Ettore,

I think this should be the Outlook setting. I just looked at live.com and
all it now does is forward you to the Office 365 page. So this should be
the same as a standard Outlook email connection unless accounts
historically with live.com/hotmail retain some differences.

Can you give more information? When you are requesting authorisation is
the browser definitely pointing at the correct Microsoft account? What
permissions does it state you are requesting? This will help understand
where the failure is happening.

Do you have any special browser tab isolation running? E.g. running in
private browsing mode? Running via a VPN? This might stop the code from
microsoft transferring to the authorisation window, or stop Microsoft
correctly identifying the authorisation request as coming from the same
browser you have your account open (I've not seen this issue but it's
the kind of thing that privacy mode tries to lock down).

Regards, David