[Users] claws-mail with OAuth2 IMAP O365

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 15:22:42 UTC 2024

> With what you described above the quoted paragraph in your message, it sounds
> very doable rather than being a dead end, right?

Hi Paul,

Yes, very doable for someone with good programming skills. The scripted
approach to externally generating the access token would be viable for
someone good at scripting. It would need to re-generate the access token
from a refresh token, but again, that is quite possible with good
scripting. Alternatively, if the User Agent string in
oauth2_post_request is really the only blocker on Claws appearing to be
Thunderbird that's an easy change after seeing what user agent string
Thunderbird uses at that stage.

The access code is really just a rolling password that changes every
hour. The Oauth2 process generates new access codes at initial
authorisation and later from the refresh code (this being held locally
and never transmitted on the network again after you receive it).

I was thinking that for the average user doing this manually is getting
quite a long way from clicking Authorise and having things automatically
configured - that's why I reached the 'dead end' phrase. Also, I was
tired when I wrote it (hence copy-paste error in my previous email)!

Best regards, David.