[Users] claws-mail with OAuth2 IMAP O365

Leon Fisk lfiskgr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 15:15:58 UTC 2024

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:32:25 +0100
"Philippe Cara (TB)" <philippe.cara at vub.be> wrote:

<snip>
>I am writing a long e-mail in the hope that someone will find where I
>go wrong in trying to use claws-mail to read/send e-mail via the O365
>environment of my university, using OAuth2. I have no permissions on
>the Azure server to create a client-ID and secret for claws-mail. So
>the idea is to pretend that I am using Thunderbird.

I saw no mention of an "app password" in your description and research.
From what I could find researching O365 it is possible to setup an "app
password" if 2fa has been enabled and administration has allowed it.
Then it is used as a simple password entry as in years past, no need
for OAuth2 settings.

This can be done with Gmail too, which is how I've been using it of
late (enabled 2fa and then generated an app password to use).

If you haven't explored this I'd try searching on "o365" "app password"
for some more info on what to try doing to set this up...

--
Leon
Claws 4.2.0, Debian