[Users] Google/Gmail App Password Auto-Input

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 12:46:53 UTC 2023

>From: Cristian Secar? <liste at secarica.ro>

>That's fine when keeping Claws Mail open, but I think I am in the same boat as Lucus Bauder: is there a way to store in whatever form and at least for a few days the Google Mail password even when closing/reopening CM ? Personally I never keep a program open when I no longer use it, so I close CM after reading or whatever mail handling, then if I need mail again after 2-3 hours I open CM again etc.
>
>I have a GM account as a secondary (sort of) mail account and because of the password hassle I only check GM once a week, at best :) Now, if I want to login to GM via CM, I need to open a browser, login to GM, then do some account copy/paste/never remember what exactly to gain access via CM. I don't use two factor on GM live account login. Few hours later (or perhaps the next day ?) CM no longer can access the GM account, so I need again to open a browser etc.

Hi Cristi,

You could consider accessing Google Gmail using OAUTH2 authentication
instead of the app password. See the FAQ here:
https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Oauth2

You authorise with your password once and (if set up correctly) it will
not ask you again unless you change your Google password. You can go for
months without re-authorising, and it will survive closing and
re-opening Claws.

Best wishes, David.