[Users] claws-mail impap-error Port 993 tls on Macos

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 15:16:17 UTC 2023

> Very much I would like to build once claws-mail via git. Unfortunately
> I have tried that in vain.
> Have you tested this once yourself?
> Maybe it is as you write a bug in the brew-arm64-version and the
> problems would be fixed perhaps with the self-compiled version! That
> would make me very happy!

Hi Stephan,

I've not tried the git version, but I have tried 4.1.1, aiming to run
with GTK+3 as maybe that gets more attention than the older GTK+2 in the
shift to the Apple Silicon platform. During compilation (manually,
outside brew) I'm getting this:

/configure --prefix=/opt/homebrew

works normally - no errors. But then 9 errors during compilation,
starting with these:

compose.c:9635:2: error: use of undeclared identifier 'Window'
        Window socket_wid = 0;
        ^
compose.c:9665:12: error: call to undeclared function 'gtk_socket_new';
ISO C99 and later do not support implicit function declarations
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
                socket = gtk_socket_new ();
                         ^

That looks like it's picking up version 2 GTK libraries instead of
version 3 for some reason.

Meanwhile I found other reports of huge memory leaks (Claws itself
reached over 120GB memory (+swap) use earlier before I closed it). E.g.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/9278

I switched to the --HEAD version of Cairo to see if this cleared the
underlying issue, but I'm still getting huge memory leakage. Claws
memory usage jumps by several GB during sending and receiving mail.

Did you check if you are also getting memory leakage? The "leaks"
package should already be installed, then it's just

leaks --atExit -- /opt/homebrew/bin/claws-mail

Best regards, David.