[Users] date displayed wrong in message list

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Fri Oct 27 21:19:14 UTC 2023

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:06:09 +0200 I wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:56:17 +0200
> "Marco M." <mm at dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello!

> > "Date: 27 Oct 2023 17:32:35 +0100 (BST)" is the header.
> > It shows up as 15.04.2006 in the message view.
> >
> > Is that a bug or a problem with the message itself?
> >

> Normally, message date looks like this:
>
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:56:17 +0200
>
> I don't know the details how Claws Mail parses date header, but
> probably missing day of the week causes wrong parsing result... and I
> expect the format is specified in relevant RFC with day od the week
> name as well. Just a quick observation, it would be good to verify if
> you need precise information.

[ Follow-up to my mail ]

I just did some quick test, with header like

Date: 27 Oct 2023 17:32:35 +0100

date is displayed well. After adding something in parenthesis at the
end, date displayed went wrong. However, with day of week name on the
start, adding string in parenthesis at the end does not make display
wrong.

You could eventually fix this header with some processing, either at
mail server when message is delivered, or when message is downloaded
into Claws Mail, but the best course of action would be fixing it at
the source, if you have any possibility to do it (is this some kind of
mailing list or automatic message sender?).

Regards,
Milan