[Users] Error creating socket_dir /tmp/claws-mail-1001: No such file or directory

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Fri Oct 20 09:54:41 UTC 2023

On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:14:17 -0300
Luc GMail <lucmove at gmail.com> wrote:

> Six years old is not that much. People already used email, claws and Debian
> six years ago, it's not the Stone Age we are talking about.

Time is relative, yes. Six years is a lot in Claws Mail time, and there have
been hundreds of changes since then. If we're saying that we can't support
versions which are 6 years old then there's not much you can do about that.
Your version of Debian is also unsupported.

> The concept of "support" is debatable. I would call "support" asking claws
> mail to change the software to fix some problem I have.

What you call "support" and what the people offering that support call it can
be different. But that doesn't mean everyone should follow your version of
what "support" means simply because you have asked for support.

You didn't get the support you expected or wanted.

> I really resent the general attitude that people have towards me because I
> am using old software.

I didn't really notice an "attitude" from others here.

> <snip>
> Neither is it reasonable to assume that
> someone who comes here to ask for this kind of help can "Compare the
> kernels."

You mentioned the kernels as the key difference, therefore it seems reasonable
to continue with your approach and suggest comparing them. Comparing the
kernels could just be looking at the differences in the config files, or
checking the kernel changelogs.

All in all, it seems that what you have is a local problem caused by
something on your system which is not Claws Mail. It was always going to be a
long shot that someone on this list could remember a small detail from many
years ago. It's also a problem which most people would never have had.

Perhaps look to security settings on your system, such as SELinux or
AppArmor, etc.

with regards

Paul