[Users] Error creating socket_dir /tmp/claws-mail-1001: No such file or directory

Marco M. mm at dorfdsl.de
Fri Oct 20 04:40:17 UTC 2023

Am 19.10.2023 um 22:14:17 Uhr schrieb Luc GMail:

> Six years old is not that much. People already used email, claws and
> Debian six years ago, it's not the Stone Age we are talking about.

It is because almost nobody still runs that and bugs might have been
fixed in further releases.

> The concept of "support" is debatable. I would call "support" asking
> claws mail to change the software to fix some problem I have.

It also includes asking Debian to provide bugfixes.

> I am not asking that. I am asking if anyone has any idea why the
> problem happens (on one kernel but not the other) and if there could
> be some kind of workaround to get past it.

First test: Does it occur on current versions?

> Creating the directory manually doesn't work. The error is not
> completely unknown, it can be found on Google, but none of the search
> hits was helpful in my case.

Can you link them?

> I really resent the general attitude that people have towards me
> because I am using old software. One, I have at least a dozen Windows
> programs from the 90s (all binary, no source) that I use on Wine
> almost every day. It's such a shame that Linux can't get anywhere
> near providing that kind of durability.

Did you test if they can run in current Wine versions?
If not, changing the wine settings might help. Please tell the wine
developers about the problem, so it can be fixed.

> Two, everybody acts like some attorney looking for reasons to acquit
> or convict rather than someone who has any interest in helping.

Helping also includes telling people they are on the wrong way.
What is your problem in testing it in a current version (e.g. in a
virtual machine)?
This can refine the problem.