[Users] Unable to Load LiteHtmlViewer Plugin (Using libgumbo2) on v4.1.1git90

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 10:20:42 UTC 2023

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:50:44 +0200
Michael Rasmussen via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:00:18 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "The following error occurred while loading litehtml_viewer.so:
> >
> > libgumbo.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory"
> >
> > User error? Need more info from my end? Quick fix? Shall I file a
> > bug?
>
> What does this command show? dpkg -S libgumbo.so.2

DM: It shows:

"dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern *libgumbo.so.2*"

DM: Did the same query w/ 'libgumbo.*' and it only found libgumbo1
files from its January install.

DM: I had built libgumbo2 from the source code (latest stable release,
I believe) retrieved from the project's 'home page' (i.e. where the
maintainer hosts the code). So I checked out the 'config.log' file and
poked around on my system in order to figure out that the libgumbo2
files were installed in '/usr/local/lib' rather than in '/usr/lib'
where Claws presumably was expecting to find them. (I ran 'ldconfig -p |
grep /usr/local/lib' to confirm that my system is aware of this
location, as expected since I had included it in the 'ld' paths because
of another program that uses the same location for its libraries.)

DM: So I guess the question is, what's the best resolution for this? My
guess is that it would be to adjust the Claws code to also look in this
location, especially if it's a relatively non-difficult task. (But I
might be off the mark as far as the actual problem and solution.)
Presumably a work around would be to copy / move the gumbo2 files to
the /usr/lib location (or see if I can add an option to the gumbo2
build process to change the location -- not sure how easy it would be
for me to figure this out, unless it's as simple as adding the option
'--prefix=/usr', which I've done with some other programs), but it would
be nice not to have to do that.

DM: Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more info. Cheers,
---Dustin