[Users] Folder scroll position at folder entry

Vilius Panevėžys vilius at elitnet.lt
Tue Nov 14 14:04:29 UTC 2023

On Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:05:06 +0530
Jim Pachowski <jimmy.patch at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Select a folder _without_ a scrollbar (empty or few messages that
> do not cause a scrollbar to appear/activate)
> 2. Mouse-click to a folder with enough messages listed in the message
> list to require a scroll bar.
>
> Non-scrollbar folder to scrollbar folder displays the behaviour
> consistently for me.

Does not work for me: just tried to switch from a folder currently
containing 1 message to multiple folders containing more than a
screenful of messages (except for the folder where the issue happens
whichever folder I switch from) and the issue is not reproducible, i.e.
the selected message is visible as expected, message list view is not
positioned at the top.

If the scenario to reproduce was this simple, I would expect a lot of
people to notice the issue. For example, anyone who is trying to stick
to Inbox Zero would experience the issue when going from Inbox to any
other folder with more than a screenful of messages.

> Once a scroll-bar is activated, the next mouse-click to any folder
> will position the message list scroll position correctly.

This also does not hold for me: in the experiment I described in my
messages, the other holding ~1500 messages and the issue was
reproducible. 29 messages are visible in the message list, so you don't
have to wonder if I'm using a gigantic screen where hundreds of
messages are visible at once. :)

There must be something we have not identified yet specific to the
affected users, e.g. a combination of configuration options, state of
the mailbox or similar.