[Users] Claws has stopped working with GMail in OAUTH2 testing mode

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 9 21:53:20 UTC 2023

On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 18:37:44 +0000
Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Mar 2023 08:15:34 -0800
> sgeneris at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Yesterday, ALL OF A SUDDEN, it stopped working. Since nothing
> > changed at my end, logic says something changed at Google's end and
> > the error msg refers to Claws developers.
>
> The problem with Google services is that they operate according to
> Google's rules, quite often violate RFCs and are generally provided on
> a "use it as is or go away instead of asking us to make it work
> properly" basis.
>
> I don't know what you did or didn't do but Claws Mail has no
> responsibility for trying to make something work that actually wants
> the whole development organisation to pay the Google tax and stop
> moaning. It's exactly similar to Microsoft and their "embrace, extend,
> extinguish" approach to non-Microsoft things except that Google
> appears to have multiple left and right hands so it's even less
> coherent in many respects.

IMHO the solution is simple:  Don't use gmail.

There are alternatives.  I won't say what my preferred alternative is,
for fear that Paul will suspend my mailing list privileges yet again.
If anyone is interested in my preferred choice, contact me privately.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow