[Users] Noobie question, how do I change the Primary Password if I lost it

Richard lists-claws at listmail.innovate.net
Wed Jan 25 01:58:12 UTC 2023

> Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2023 17:10:53 -0600
> From: Tim McConnell <tmcconnell168 at gmail.com>
>
> I have that set up actually, but if I try to make any modifications
> to an account I get prompted for a Primary Password.
> I think I goofed and used the App Password from Google for that and
> I do not remember what it is. (see attached Screenshots)

Assuming imap accounts you could just kill off your claws mail
configuration and start again.

Alternatively ... with claws mail closed one can edit a configuration
file to make an adjustment to the password requirement. When you
bring claws back up you'll have to re-enter mail account passwords
and oauth2 authorization codes as they have, appropriately, been
cleared out.

I used 3.18 and imap accounts for my testing. I don't know if this
works with pop accounts (I could see a rationale for deleting all
stored messages) or later releases of claws mail.

[obviously, make good backups of the appropriate directories before
embarking on this.]