[Users] Some Messages Not Being Filtered

Chris Schrauben chrisretusn at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 10:40:04 UTC 2023

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:17:28 +0200
wwp <wwp at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> Hello Chris,
>

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 11:53:05 +0800 Chris Schrauben via Users
> <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
> > I have 10 POP3 Accounts, 1 Local account. The are 116 filters.
> > The first filter handles incoming messages for the Local account,
> > moving them to "Local" subfolder of Inbox. The second filter
> > processes incoming emails for one specific account moving those
> > messages to it's respective MH Mail Box Inbox. The last two filters
> > are catch all. One filters off of X-Bogosity Unsure the other off
> > X-Bogosity Spam and moves messages to the respective Unsure or Spam
> > folder. All of the rest of the filters in between move messages to
> > various subfolders of a folder called Saved.
> >
> > The problem is several messages are ending up in Unsure that should
> > have been filtered. I have looked at the filter log. These emails
> > are not listed in the log. For example this morning I received a
> > total of 18 messages, of those 3 were not filtered, they are not
> > listed in filter.log at all. All three of these messages use the
> > same filter. There were 4 messages that met the criteria of this
> > filter, one message was correctly filtered. It not always the same
> > filter, yesterday, there was two filters involved one was the same
> > as today's, 24 messages should have been applied, only 11 were
> > filtered, 13 were not. The other filter was based on an address
> > book, 4 messages received, 2 filtered 2 not filters. In all case of
> > not filtered, these messages are not in filter.log
> >
> > If I use "Skip these Rules" "Filter all messages in folder" or
> > "Filter selected messages" to the missed messages, the messages are
> > properly filtered.
>
> Are those 'unfiltered' messages from the same POP account?
>
> Something I don't get: if it's one of the last catch-all filtering
> rules that moves messages to Unsure, and if you have some messages in
> Unsure in the end of a filtering session, then those messages *are*
> filtered (by your last filtering rule that moves to Unsure). And you
> should see this filtering matching in the filtering log. Also: are
> you aware that some filtering actions stop (move, delete, stop
> filter) the filtering processing for the message being filtered,
> preventing further filtering rules to be processes?

Based on the filter.log, when I "Receive Mail from all
Accounts" it does not appear that the filters are triggered on these
messages, apparently it's Bogofilter (just now figuring this might be
the case) that is putting these messages into "Spam-Unsure". (In my
original post I incorrectly referred to this a just "Unsure"). I have
never had a problem like this before. I is my understanding that
Bogofilter works on the messages after Claws Mail filters.

Yes I am aware that filters stop actions, all of these filter are
"move" filters as the action, including the last two filters which use
the "X-Bogosity:" header to filter from.

Chris