[Users] Attachment icon not showing

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 13:31:04 UTC 2023

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:41:22 +0200
Milan Obuch <claws-mail-users at dino.sk> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 14:26:57 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:43:30 +0200
> > Milan Obuch <claws-mail-users at dino.sk> wrote:

> > > I can only confirm the same behaviour here. I am using IMAP, so
> > > things could be different for POP3 users.
> > >
> > DM: I can confirm that it also happens with POP3 accounts for at
> > least some emails. The other thing I've noticed is that after I've
> > removed all (besides HTML) attachments from an email (maybe only
> > emails with an HTML part?), it will still show the attachment icon
> > in the message list, whereas if I had received the same email
> > without any attachments I wouldn't see that behavior. ...
>
> How did you remove the attachments?

DM: Hi, Milan. I did it with the 'AttRemover' plugin, which puts a menu
item 'Remove attachments...' in the 'Message' section.

> If you did manipulate the files in mailbox directly, then what you
> see after your modification are *cached* results from message
> analysing done when mail is initially received. I don't know where
> this cache could be removed for POP3 account. For IMAP account, you
> can 'Rebuild folder tree' from account context menu which could do
> the trick. ... (Maybe cache is not the right term, but given the
> behaviour, it fits for me well.)

DM: I'm not sure how the 'AttRemover' plugin works or how caching (or
something similar, if any) works for POP3 accounts. I tried doing
'Rebuild folder tree', but that didn't clear the attachment icons
mentioned above.

> If I do something like this, I am editing the file on the server, I
> move it somewhere away, do download/synchronisation, so entry for
> this mail in cache is removed, and then move the modified mail into
> place, and again do download, so mail analysis is forced to be done
> again. Maybe easier method exists, maybe not. I do not need it that
> often, so I did not looked into it more.

DM: Not sure if something like this would work for a POP3 account or
not -- maybe if I get really bored and don't have higher-priority Claws
Mail things to troubleshoot, then I'll try it. :) But for now it's not
that big of a deal to me, just an interesting quirk that seems to be
in a similar category to the OP's problem (i.e. unexpected behavior of
the attachment icon's presence / absence). Cheers, ---Dustin