[Users] Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and now cannot start claws-mail.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 28 02:18:52 CEST 2022

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 19:55:28 +1000
Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Did you get any error message when trying to start it? If so what
> were they as that is sure to give you a clue.

Yes.  Heaps of them, but they meant nothing to me.  (It's hard to give
a clue to the clueless!)

Apparently they meant something to Paul, who wrote:

> gdk-pixbuf is present on everyone else's systems, gtk depends on it,
> but on your system it was wrongly  linked to an older gdk-pixbuf
> which no longer existed.

Unfortunately I have no idea as to how to get the gdk-pixbuf on my
system to be the correct one.  I did a bit of a web search, but could
find nothing useful.  Can you give me some guidance?

For the record, here (again) are the error messages that are produced
when I try to start claws-mail from the command line:

> ** (claws-mail:222702): WARNING **: 12:42:06.087: plugin loading
> error: /usr/local/lib/claws-mail/plugins/pdf_viewer.so: cannot open
>
> ** (claws-mail:222702): WARNING **: 12:42:06.087: plugin loading
> error: /usr/local/lib/claws-mail/plugins/fancy.so: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> (claws-mail:222702): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:42:06.103: Could not load a
> pixbuf from icon theme. This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the
> mime database could not be found. **
> Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon:
> assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load
> /usr/share/icons/mate/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unable to load
> image-loading module:
> /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so:
> libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 5) Bail out!
> Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon:
> assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load
> /usr/share/icons/mate/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unable to load
> image-loading module:
> /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so:
> libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 5) Abort (core dumped)

cheers,

Rolf

--
Honorary Research Fellow