[Users] encoded addresses causing problems in reply

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Wed Sep 7 22:01:11 UTC 2022

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 14:24:47 -0700
"Derek B. Noonburg" <derekn at foolabs.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 14:02:56 -0700
> "Derek B. Noonburg" <derekn at foolabs.com> wrote:
> > If I manually set the encoding to UTF-8 (compose window -> options
> > -> character encoding), that seems to help.  But I think it's just
> > luck: that is, I suspect the ISO-2022-JP encoding happens to
> > contain ">" and "," while the UTF-8 encoding doesn't.
>
> Ok, I think I found a way to reproduce this.
>
> I'm attaching a sample message.  If you drop it into a maildir/mh
> folder, it should show up correctly in claws (i.e., no visible
> problems in the headers).
>
> Hit "reply-all".
>
> Then change the to/cc addresses from derekn1/2/3 at foolabs.com to your
> own address -- leaving all of the text outside the "<...>" unchanged.
>
> Then set the encoding to ISO-2022-JP (options -> character encoding ->
> Japanese -> ISO-2022-JP).
>
> Now hit "send".
>
> Best I can tell, the to/cc headers generated by claws contain ">" and
> "(" characters in the printed-quotable sections.  And I think that's
> illegal -- but please correct me if that's not the case.
>
> - Derek

I am afraid it works for me differently, headers generated this way are

To: "=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCPkIbKEI=?= / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?QUFBGyRCISQbKEJCQkI=?=" <milan at domain1>
Cc: "=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCPkIbKEI=?= / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?QUFBGyRCISQbKEJCQkI=?=" <milan at domain2>,
      "=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCPkIbKEI=?= / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?QUE=?=
       =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCISQbKEJCQkI=?=" <milan at domain3>

(addresses inside <> are edited, but that's not relevant here). All
perfectly valid. If I leave encoding set to 'Automatic', I'll get UTF-8
coding, and all headers are displayed equally. Also, note, there is no
quoted printable encoding, base64 is used for both ISO-2022-JP and
UTF-8.

Again, what is your environment LANG setting? In another words, what
does command

env | grep LANG

entered in terminal write? It is C.UTF-8 for me, with C.ASCII I had
problems when sending subjects containing some accented characters, ?
was used instead.

Regards,
Milan