[Users] switching claws-mail offline with a script run by root

Boffi Daniele 3daniele03 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 07:57:31 UTC 2022

Before upgrading to Ubuntu 22, the following script was working fine
before suspending my laptop:

sudo -u myusername /usr/bin/claws-mail --offline

The script is run by root.

After the upgrade the command doesn't work anymore. The upgrade
involves also moving to claws-mail 4.

Here is some more information about this issue.

1. the command "claws-mail --offline" has the expected effect of
switching offline my active instance of claws-mail.

2. If I run the same command from the command line (as user), instead
of acting on the active claws-mail, it opens a new (offline)
claws-mail as if the other instance was not existing.

3, The same as in 2. if I run the script as root (that is "sudo sudo
-c myusername ..."). A new offline claws-mail pops up.

Any hint of what changed after the upgrade? Thanks