[Users] Claws "hangs" with 100% CPU

claws at my-mail-box.net claws at my-mail-box.net
Fri Oct 14 16:17:23 UTC 2022

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 07:33:25 -0000
Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 18:27:45 -0700
> claws at my-mail-box.net wrote:
>
> > [2022-10-12 17:36:05] POP< +OK Dovecot ready.
> > [2022-10-12 17:36:05] POP> USER aaa
> > [2022-10-12 17:36:05] POP< +OK
> > [2022-10-12 17:36:05] POP> PASS ********
> > [2022-10-12 17:36:05] POP< +OK Logged in.
> > [2022-10-12 17:36:05] POP> STAT
>
> The server is not responding to the STAT command.

I need to follow-up on this one more time,
because it makes no sense to me...

So, Claws reaches out to a remote server, which
is temporarily unavailable or unresponsive.
In consequence, Claws locks up, indefinitely,
while consuming 100% of CPU?

I don't find that plausible - mostly because
I have found Claws to be more robust than that.
Also, if it were true, wouldn't we be seeing
lots of reports like that, from all over? (After
all, remote connections are not reliable.)

So, my guess is that something else is going
on - quite possibly triggered by a glitch in
that remote call. But then something odd seems
to happen. Can we narrow that down (and maybe
fix it)?

I still believe that the "100% CPU" is a clue:
surely waiting on a socket does not usually
consume 100% of CPU capacity!

Best,

		Ph.