[Users] Linking to GMail

claws at my-mail-box.net claws at my-mail-box.net
Thu Oct 13 01:50:34 UTC 2022

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:44:33 -0400
Lee Underwood <mail at leeunderwood.org> wrote:

> I know this has probably been asked and asked again, but I cannot
> find anything recent. I am using the instructions at
> https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Using_Claws_Mail_with_Gmail
> to set-up CM w/GMail. However, some of the specs have changed. I just
> want to get mail from my GMail account.

Apologies for jumping in on this...

My understanding is that Google disabled
external access via username/password:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

This can be frustrating, because on the Gmail
"Settings" page for POP/IMAP, everything seems
good, but then any attempt to actually let
Claws access the account ends up being rejected.

My solution is to have Gmail forward
incoming email to a separate mail acct
that I host elsewhere, and to POP msgs
from there.

If there are OTHER workarounds then I'd love
to hear them myself! ;-)