[Users] Size of each sub-dirs ?

Norwid Behrnd nbehrnd at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 18:53:58 CEST 2022

On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:49:56 +0200
Alain Coulais <alain.coulais at obspm.fr> wrote:

> I have several emails accounts (IMAP) not locally saved
> (most of my mails stay on servers)
>
> To have the equivalent of "tree"/"du"/"find*" ...  ... I have to kindly ask
> to the admin of the remote mail server where I have no access via ssh
> and I cannot ask too frequently !

@Alain  Inside CM with the standard view, I'm only aware about the indicator
between the listed messages and the individual one (an example is attached).
It mentions the current sub-folder (not the mail ID), number & volume of the
selected messages; and a total about all messages in the current folder.  This
is manual and doesn't scale well (though in each folder one may sort messages
by size, too.)

It still is worth to check the level of restraints to access the mail servers.
In case you have /read-only/ access (a sub set of permissions) via
ssh/ssh-2/sfpt, e.g. filezilla[1] (platform agnostic, polyglot[2]) might
reach out for the data, including a determination of their size[3] without
actually downloading the data to a local storage. /Read-only/ is a pattern
seen e.g., for NMR spectrometers; a few colleagues record the data, and many
members of multiple groups of a department read and process the data -- but
only locally.

Perhaps similar to an os.walk() across directories, the Python plugin[4] might
crawl through the emails to compile and summarize the data relevant for you,
but this is mere speculation.

Norwid

[1] https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/
[2] https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FileZilla_Client_Tutorial_(fr)