[Users] Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and now cannot start claws-mail.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Oct 1 03:06:28 CEST 2022

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:40:25 -0000
Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:23:04 +1300
> Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway I can try to start claws-mail from the command line,
> > using snap?  So that I can test out that conjecture?
>
> As was already somewhere in this thread, it looks like you have 2
> different claws-mail packages installed.

I don't see how that can be.  I can find no trace of two different
claws-mail packages.  As I have previously said, "whereis claws-mail"
reveals but one:

> claws-mail: /usr/bin/claws-mail /usr/share/man/man1/claws-mail.1.gz

Also I have, as per previous suggestions, removed the claws-mail
package:

> sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove claws-mail

and then (re-) installed claws-mail:

> sudo apt install claws-mail

If there is a second version of claws-mail lurking about, how would I
find it and get rid of it?

> I recommend removing the claws-mail snap package and keeping the
> standard one:
>
> sudo snap remove claws-mail

As I have said in an earlier post, there does not seem be a claws-mail
snap package.  The directory /snap/bin contains no "claws-mail".

<SNIP>

> You said somewhere else in this thread that you thought installing a
> distro from scratch would be too difficult for you. I doubt that.
> Several distros make things super simple. e.g., installing fedora is
> pretty much just a matter of clicking a few buttons. Other distros
> are probably similarly easy.

Easy for some!  I used to use Fedora (before switching to Ubuntu) and
found it to be largely a nightmare to deal with.

The *upgrade* (from 20.04 to 22.04) that I did was *fairly* easy, and
could be done to  large extent via point-and-click, but there were
numerous steps that were far less than clear. (Although, in the end,
everything seemed to work, except claws-mail from the command line.)

I think a reasonable person would expect installing from scratch to be
even more fraught with a lack of clarity.

I'll do some web-searching, but, and see if I can find lucid
instructions on how to install Ubuntu 22.04 from scratch.

Wish me luck!

cheers,

Rolf

--