[Users] Fancy plugin does not work with GLX disabled

Edward epp at caramail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:36:59 CET 2022

A number of years ago when I used Fedora, I disabled the X.org GLX
module from loading in at bootup, as any software from Mozilla back
then, Firefox, Thunderbird, or SeaMonkey, would crash. Once GLX was
disabled, the crashes stopped.

Fast forward to today, now using Debian sid/unstable, I have disabled
GLX again, to try to find the cause of Firefox freezing randomly, there
is a current bug report filed on this issue at Mozilla and have
experienced the same issue with other Linux distributions recently, so
it's not a Debian issue.

It turns out that with the GLX module disabled, Claws' Fancy plugin
doesn't work. If I try to display an HTML email, the bottom main window
pane is empty. If I re-enable GLX and reboot the system, the Fancy
plugin then works again and the HTML email is displayed.

Does the Fancy plugin use GLX in any way?

GLX was disabled by placing a file '10-disable-glx.conf' in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ containing the following, then rebooting:

Section "Module"
	Disable  "glx"
EndSection

Thanks in advance.