[Users] Sort threads and the emails inside the threads differently

Enan Ajmain 3nan.ajmain at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:38:28 CET 2022

I'm using sort by date in descending order so the newest emails are at
the top. This has a downside: the emails _inside_ a thread are also
sorted this way. So if two emails in the same thread are in the same
level of depth, the newer email will be above the older one. This is
counter-intuitive to how conversation is done.

I could just use sort by date in _ascending_ order, but I'd like the
newer threads to be above the older ones.

I tried sort by THREAD date in descending order, and this seems to sort
the threads a/c the newest email in that thread (instead of the first
email in that thread, which is what sort-by-date uses). The emails
inside the thread are also sorted in descending order, so we're back to
square one.

I realize what I'm trying to achieve would require two sort orders, one
for sorting the threads and another for sorting the emails. And since
the «View / Sort» accepts only a single choice, I don't think what I
want is possible.

So is there any way to sort the threads in descending order and the
individual emails in a thread in ascending order?

--
Enan
3nan.ajmain at gmail.com
https://www.github.com/3N4N