[Users] Building Claws on Win32 (Again)

Manfred Schmitt claws at slashproc.org
Sun May 22 15:02:38 CEST 2022

Rosemary Lockie via Users wrote:

> On Sun, 22 May 2022 01:41:05 +0200.
> Manfred Schmitt <claws at slashproc.org> wrote:
>
> > Afaiik installing python-is-python3 is the Debian-way to get a symlink
> > from /usr/bin/python to python3.
>
> Thanks for that!  And inded, according to received wisdom online, that's all the package
> does! :) Perhaps more elegantly than "by hand" though?

I prefer to use the Debian-Way if there is one and if it's not to invasive.

With a symlink problems could arise:
Old python 2 code with a /usr/bin/env python shebang will break if the
script is actually not python 3 compatible.
In this case it could be a better idea to install python-is-python2.
And, since python2 is End-of-Life, migrate the scripts to python 3 obviously.

All python 3 packages in Debian (should?) use a versioned shebang:
#!/usr/bin/env python3 or #!/usr/bin/python3
So, if one only uses debian packaged python3 programs a symlink is not
needed.
I do not know how other distros handle this.

Bye,
Manfred