[Users] Building Claws on Win32 (Again)

Rosemary Lockie wishful99 at btinternet.com
Sun May 22 12:22:23 CEST 2022

On Sat, 21 May 2022 15:04:24 -0700.
Jonathan Boeing <jonathan at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 May 2022 15:10:39 +0100
> Rosemary Lockie via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
> > Now, when I ran MAKE, webkitgtk fails to build, but - according to
> > the log - for a different reason, as it says it can't find 'python'!
> >
> > checking for python... configure: error: You need 'python' to compile
> > WebKit [endsnip]
> >
> > I do have Python installed (Python 3.9, no earlier versions),

Jonathan,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I have added 'python' as a symlink. :-)

My problem now is that when I resume MAKE, it can't find the appropriate makefile in the
webkitgtk-2.4.11-build directory. I'm assuming this is because the webkitgtk configure
script failed to complete, and therefore I have to tell it somehow to run the script
again, before it continues? Could you advise me please on how do do that?  I don't want
to run the whole MAKE again unless it had to, as it took hours! :)

> Webkit looks for 'python' in the path.  Going from memory, on Debian 10
> that was a symlink to python2.7.  On Debian 11, only python3 was
> installed by default and there was no 'python' symlink.

Yes, that's true. I had only python3.

> When I did the 10->11 update, I think I installed python2.7 and
> manually symlinked 'python' to 'python2.7' just to keep the build
> environment consistent.
>
> A quick check with 'python3 -m py_compile' on webkit's python sources
> doesn't show any errors, so you might be able to just symlink 'python'
> to your python3 binary.

Thanks for the verification, and for checking the compilation! Very useful! :)

Kind Regards,
Rosemary Lockie