[Users] Building Claws on Win32 (Again)

Rosemary Lockie wishful99 at btinternet.com
Sun May 22 12:04:23 CEST 2022

On Sat, 21 May 2022 21:18:20 +0600.
Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> DM: Hi, Rosemary. When you say you 'have Python installed', what
> exactly do you mean?

I meant that I have an executable in /usr/bin named python3.9. This came with a pristine
install of Debian 11. And therein, I think likes my problem. Jonathan pointed out that
on Debian 11, only python3 is installed by default, so there's no 'python' symlink (or if
not a symlink, no earlier version present.

> Depending what you installed and how you installed
> it, there may be certain python-related things that are necessary but
> are not currently installed.

That is indeed a good point, more generally, not just in my case, but it's knowing what
those packages are... for which one could, in theory, use sudo apt-get build-dep (or
equivalent package updater?) But for that one has to have apt-get looking at more than
the standard list of packages.

> the 'coolsoft-dev' package. Anyway, if it were me, this is the area I
> would check out first, making sure you have everything python-related
> installed that you need for building Claws. HTH, ---Dustin

Again a good point. Happily, however the README which comes with claws-mail-win32
includes a list (git, wget, mingw-w64, &c), and I do have all those installed. :-)

Incidentally, the whole point of this is so I can edit the Oauth2.c code to have the
most recent OAuth2 behaviour. I suspect that by the time I've got it working, the
new Win32 release that includes the patch will be available, but that's not a problem, as
I'm learning a lot in the process! :-)

Kind Regards,
Rosemary Lockie