[Users] Building Claws on Win32 (Again)

Jonathan Boeing jonathan at claws-mail.org
Sun May 22 00:04:24 CEST 2022

On Sat, 21 May 2022 15:10:39 +0100
Rosemary Lockie via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> Now, when I ran MAKE, webkitgtk fails to build, but - according to
> the log - for a different reason, as it says it can't find 'python'!
>
> An extract from the error log says:
>
> [snip]
> checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-w64-mingw32
> checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> checking for python... configure: error: You need 'python' to compile
> WebKit [endsnip]
>
> I do have Python installed (Python 3.9, no earlier versions), so I'm
> puzzled as to why it can't find it? Would it be looking - literally -
> for python, so won't find (say) /usr/bin/python3.9 ?
>
> $PATH is
>
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
>
> Does anyone have any ideas please?

Webkit looks for 'python' in the path.  Going from memory, on Debian 10
that was a symlink to python2.7.  On Debian 11, only python3 was
installed by default and there was no 'python' symlink.

When I did the 10->11 update, I think I installed python2.7 and
manually symlinked 'python' to 'python2.7' just to keep the build
environment consistent.

A quick check with 'python3 -m py_compile' on webkit's python sources
doesn't show any errors, so you might be able to just symlink 'python'
to your python3 binary.

Regards,

Jonathan