[Users] Deleting email in a large MH folder

Paul Rolland rol at witbe.net
Tue May 10 18:41:07 UTC 2022

Hello,

On Tue, 10 May 2022 20:26:06 +0200
Paul Rolland <rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> The report says :
> Samples: 834K of event 'cycles', Event count (approx.): 214706275164
> Overhead  Command      Shared Object             Symbol
>   22.84%  claws-mail   claws-mail                [.] gtk_cmctree_unlink
>    7.84%  claws-mail   libglib-2.0.so.0.7000.5   [.] g_list_position
>    6.50%  claws-mail   libglib-2.0.so.0.7000.5   [.] g_list_nth
> (others are below 0.5%)

This gave me an idea.... instead of removing the emails at the bottom of
the list from that folder (remember, I told that it contained 400K emails),
I've made the test and removed the messages at the top of the list. And
this is instant, as Paul (the official CM dev, not me 😃️) reported from
his tests.

So, the solution to my problem is:
1 - change the sort order, to have the message you want to delete at the
    top of list,
2 - delete them, this goes nearly instant,
3 - change the sort order back to what it was.

It looks like some functions don't like you to play with end of (large !)
lists...

It's interesting to note that changing the sort order is only a few
seconds, but the net gain when deleting the mails is 10s of minutes !

Regards,
Paul