[Users] Deleting email in a large MH folder

Paul Rolland rol at witbe.net
Tue May 10 16:34:14 UTC 2022

Hello,

My Claws installation has a Trash that is an MH folder. I've been working a
few months without emptying the trash, and it now contains 400K mails.
So I've started deleting them but that operation is painfully slow !

I tried deleting 100K in one shot... Claws has been "busy" for more than 1
hour on my machine before I decided to kill it/restart it to access my
emails.

I then tried smaller quantities of mails with mixed results:
 - 3K mails: 2min36s
 - 10K mails: close to 10min

When running in debug mode, I can see that the delay occurs:
folder.c:3855:called inc_unlock (lock count 0)
hooks.c:70:registered new hook for 'msginfo_update' as id 6

<--- HERE

folder.c:1244:Counting total number of messages...
main.c:983:The name is not activatable
msgcache.c:270:TIMING msgcache_get_msg_list : 0s016ms

Can someone tell me what is the code that is causing that delay ?

Regards,
Paul