[Users] Gtk warnings when launching Claws Mail from a terminal window in KDE

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu May 5 15:04:50 UTC 2022

Hey there,

Paul wrote:
>littlergirl at gmail.com wrote:

>> I'll be running Claws Mail from a GUI shortcut, so I won't even see
>> those warnings, but since I saw them when I tested that command in
>> a terminal, I figured I'd come in here and check if they're
>> anything to worry about or if I can safely ignore them since I'm
>> using KDE. Any advice would be appreciated.

>This is nothing to do with KDE,

As I had suspected.

> they are caused by the GTK 3 theme which you are using, (which I'm
> guessing is adwaita). You can remedy this by using a different GTK
> 3 theme.

GTK programs are only offered two GTK themes and one KDE theme by
default in Kubuntu. The Emacs GTK theme spits out the 2 warnings I
showed you. The Default GTK theme spits out 27 of those warnings.

The Breeze KDE theme doesn't spit out any warnings, but some of its
colors conflict with my Claws Mail colors. My current solution is to
copy the relevant entries from the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/colors.css file
to the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file and tweak them.

That affects all of my GTK programs, though, and only Claws Mail
needs this. Is there a way to put a CSS file into the ~/.claws-mail
directory so that only Claws Mail will use it?

So far, I've tried:

	* copying the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file into the
	  ~/.claws-mail directory

	* copying the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file into the
	  ~/.claws-mail directory and renaming it to .gtkrc-3.0

	* copying the entire ~/.config/gtk-3.0 directory into the
	  ~/.claws-mail directory

None of those did the trick. Is there something obvious I'm
overlooking?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.