[Users] secure email providers

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 09:06:37 UTC 2022

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:34:47 +0200
Michael Rasmussen via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> > That's one point which "secure" providers are trying to solve by
> > deploying e.g.
> > password for recipient before being able to open the email, but I
> > am not sure
> > how effective it is considering the habits of average email user...
> >
> Only way to be absolutely sure is to do end-to-end encryption using
> either X509 or Public-private encryption like GPG or similar.

Yup - surprising how many people spend ages worrying about SSL, SSH
tunnels, VPNs etc and miss this very basic point.

Once a mail leave you there is no guarantee that it will be transmitted
securely for the whole route to destination, and be read only by the
right person. And the same for mail received.

The only way to reasonably guarantee it is by encrypting the mail, and
then all the SSL etc largely becomes an irrelevance.

But of course certain large providers won't be overly happy if they can
no longer scan your emails...... and hence I'd guess low adoption of
PGP, plus the fact it is not simple to set up and maintain, especially
across multiple devices.