[Users] Authentication Error for Gmail POP3 OAuth2 Account

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:07:45 UTC 2022

Hi Everyone,

Following is the network log for an authentication error I'm getting
for a POP3 Gmail account that I'm trying to set up with OAuth2:

* OAuth2 access token obtained
* OAuth2 refresh token obtained
* OAuth2 refresh token stored
* OAuth2 access token stored
* OAuth2 access token expiry stored
* Account 'Dustin's Gmail': Connecting to POP3 server:
  pop.gmail.com:995...
[2022-03-25 18:48:32] POP< +OK Gpop ready for requests from
[my-IP-address] i17mb93523872ivt
[2022-03-25 18:48:32] POP> USER [my-username]
[2022-03-25 18:48:32] POP< +OK send PASS
[2022-03-25 18:48:32] POP> PASS ********
[2022-03-25 18:48:33] POP< -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not
accepted.
*** error occurred on authentication
*** Authentication failed.

As far as I can tell, I followed the same process that worked for me
for a different POP3 Gmail account. The one difference I noticed in
Google Cloud Platform is that the scope I needed to add wasn't in the
default list, but needed to be added manually. Not sure if that means
anything, but it makes me wonder whether all Google accounts are
'created equally' in Google's eyes? Or maybe it has to do with
different account settings?

I also noticed on the Client ID page where it says "Note: It may take 5
minutes to a few hours for settings to take effect." I'm not sure if
this could cause an inability to authenticate, but I know it didn't
seem to be an issue with the other account I set up. But maybe if I
wait a few hours and try again then it will work?

Other things I've tried:

* 1. Restarting Claws.

* 2. Logging in to webmail and giving whatever security permissions,
  etc. I could.

* 3. Re-trying the authorization process.

It doesn't seem that the network log has that much useful information
in it, but I thought I would post it in case it would be helpful.

Would it help to run Claws with the '--debug' option?

Any hint, ideas, or suggestions of other things I could try, check,
test, etc.?

Thanks,
Dustin