[Users] Unable to send messages

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 16:27:27 CET 2022

On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 19:59:10 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not know what are the current default settings - the versions
> that I have, of Claws mail, are at least two years old.
>
> But, I also suggest that, if they are not already the defaults,  the
> SMTP port should default to 465, now, and, also, for both the incoming
> mail server, whether it be POP or IMAP, and, the SMTP server, should
> default to using SSL, with authentication, due to the increased
> security over the last couple of years.
>
> As has been raised, this would help inexperienced users to "get it
> going".

DM: In my experience with using email clients (i.e. Claws, etc.), the
first step in setting up an email account is to get all the necessary
settings from your email provider. Once you have those, then you can go
into the email client's settings and make sure things are as they
should be. I don't think it's realistic to expect that an email client
is going to 'automatically' have whatever particular settings a person
needs for whatever email service they're using, although there are some
email clients that have a feature for trying to auto-detect or
auto-fill settings based on the domain of someone's address. Sometimes
that works; sometimes not. I would think that any email provider worth
using would make it relatively easy to find out the settings that are
needed for an email client; it doesn't seem like anyone should need to
do a bunch of trial-and-error to figure it out. But, you never know, I
could be wrong. :) Cheers, ---Dustin