[Users] Unable to send messages

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 12:59:10 CET 2022

On 13/03/2022, Slavko <linux at slavino.sk> wrote:
> Ahoj,
>
> Dňa Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:22:21 +0800 Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com>
> napísal:
>
>> Claws mail defaulted to Port 25 for the SMTP server.
>
> IMO, nowadays defaulting to port 25 is deprecated. RFC 8314
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8314 defines as default the 465
> (with TLS). The 587 (with STARTTLS) is mentioned only as fallback, but
> this is not important here, as users have to have possibility to set,
> what they need/want.
>
> I will ask to take this change, as previous discussion shows, port 25
> can cause problems for not experienced users, it is often blocked by
> ISPs or applying strict rules by MTAs.
>
> regards
>
> --
> Slavko
> https://www.slavino.sk

I do not know what are the current default settings - the versions
that I have, of Claws mail, are at least two years old.

But, I also suggest that, if they are not already the defaults,  the
SMTP port should default to 465, now, and, also, for both the incoming
mail server, whether it be POP or IMAP, and, the SMTP server, should
default to using SSL, with authentication, due to the increased
security over the last couple of years.

As has been raised, this would help inexperienced users to "get it going".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale