[Users] Unable to send messages

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 10:22:21 CET 2022

On 13/03/2022, Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2022 06:50:45 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
>
> If you don't want to change your system name, you can change what is sent
> by
> using the Account Preferences.
>
> Go to the 'Advanced' page and set something suitable for 'Domain name'.
>
> with regards
>
> Paul

Thank you.

I set the 'Domain name' to the domain name of the email account.

That was a partial fix, so then, the error message returned, indicated
that I needed to turn SMTP authorisation on, which I then did, and
then got an error message
"535 Incorrect authentication data"
so I entered the userid and password for the email account on the mail
server, in the part under "SMTP authorisation", and, after that, it
worked.

So, after all of this, the solution is thus.

Claws mail defaulted to Port 25 for the SMTP server.

Changing the SMTP Port number from 25 to 465, and then, setting "Use
SSL for SMTP connection", got it working for version 3.17.7 .

But, it still did not work, for version 3.13.2, which gave the HELO erropr.

So, as recommended above, I entered a value in the "Domain name". I
set the 'Domain name' to the domain name of the email account.

That was a partial fix, so then, the error message returned, indicated
that I needed to turn SMTP authorisation on, which I then did, and
then got an error message
"535 Incorrect authentication data"
so I entered the userid and password for the email account on the mail
server, in the part under "SMTP authorisation", and, after that, it
worked.

Thank you for your help.

--
Bret Busby