[Users] Anyone else get kicked off the list?

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Sat Mar 12 03:07:37 CET 2022

Hi all,

Did anyone else get kicked off the list?  Got this at 18:02 local time:

>From: users-request at lists.claws-mail.org
>To: pf at pfortin.com
>Subject: confirm 096b7e25fb25c09e4dc80651b1de8214f117ceed
>Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 00:02:38 +0100
>Sender: "Users" <users-bounces at lists.claws-mail.org>
>
>Your membership in the mailing list Users has been disabled due to
>excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
>12-Mar-2022.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
>you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 3 more reminders like
>this before your membership in the list is deleted.
[snip]

The prior message from the list (below) was received at 17:23 local time;
just 39 minutes earlier.  Emails from other senders arrived at 17:14,
17:23, 17:55, 17:55, (bounces here? Notified at 18:02), 18:03, 18:12, ...

>From: Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net>
>To: users at lists.claws-mail.org
>Subject: Re: [Users] Sending to some who has a gmail account.
>Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 14:23:50 -0800

I got kicked for bounces, yet the notification made it through...

Maybe this was a network error; temporary DNS failure near claws-mail.org?

How often are the messages retried?

The problem had to be limited to the time span between 17:23 and 18:02 my
local time, from claws-mail.org [217.70.191.162]'s perspective.

Just checked my MTA (luxsci.com)... Turns out they keep up to 100 emails
daily in a BACKUP folder; everything in there matches the Inbox. No sign
of problems since other messages came in right around the "bounce" time.

Is it possible to get a full copy of one of these bounce messages?  I
suspect whatever triggered the bounces was not from luxsci.com...

Suggestion: bounce message(s) should be copied into the notification.

Answers might help improve the bounce handling process...

Cheers,
Pierre