[Users] claws-mail does not remember password even though the "Remember with password manager" option is checked

Christoph Klassen christoph.klassen at intevation.de
Wed Mar 9 14:43:47 CET 2022

Hello!

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

On 3/9/22 14:23, lmfrm wrote:
> It's clear to me now the password I'm being prompted for isn't the
> account password. It's the PGP key password. I know this because the
> prompt that arises follows the rules I set in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf.

I will create an issue for gpg so that hopefully the prompt will soon
tell where it comes from. Else it could also be confusing for other people.

> So the question is, how does Claws know where to fetch the PGP keys?
> You know, to decrypt and encrypt e-mails? Somewhere in the code it must
> ask the system, "What is the default installed PGP keyring?" and,
> "Please request the key associated with key ID ########." Before gnupg
> can supply it, it prompts for the password with its own window, or with
> 'pinentry-program' set to '/usr/bin/pinentry-tty' it prompts for the
> password in the terminal. The key ID is the short format, which you can
> derive with 'gpg --list-secret-keys --keyid-format short'. The key IDs
> are stored in ~/.claws-mail/accountrc setting
> 'privacy_prefs=gpg=[blob],smime=[blob]' and are per account.

In the settings, when you go to "GPG" under Plugins you can decide how
Claws Mail has to choose the private key. After a clean installation it
uses the default key of gpg. But, you can also enter a specific email
address or a key-ID.

Greetings,

Christoph