[Users] claws-mail does not remember password even though the "Remember with password manager" option is checked

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Tue Mar 8 11:43:15 CET 2022

On Tue, 8 Mar 2022 00:19:24 -0600
lmfrm <lmfrm at nanogroup.xyz> wrote:

> I had been using Linux Mint 18 Mate 64-bit and upgraded to Linux Mint
> 20.3 XFCE 64-bit recently.
>
> After this upgrade, I installs claws-mail from the repository
> and transferred all claws-mail settings from the old OS to the new.

Your version of Linux Mint is not significant here, what is  or
could be, significant is the version of Claws Mail you refer to, but you don't
mention that.

> It no longer remembers the password despite checking the "Remember
> with password manager" checkbox. (I don't know what 'password manager'
> it's referring to.)

"Remember with password manager" is not from Claws Mail. This sentence
appears nowhere in Claws Mail. So whatever is asking to remember your
password is not Claws Mail.

> I'm using pgp e-mail but it doesn't tell me if it's asking for the
> account password or the gpg password--in any case, mine happen to be
> one and the same.

Always a bad idea to reuse passwords, especially one so significant as the
gpg password.

>  I don't think gnome-keyring stored my password unless claws-mail put it
> there.

Claws Mail is not a gnome program and has nothing to do with gnome-keyring.

> My private keys are stored in my gpg keyring but of course, the
> password is not because pgp keys are just encrypted blobs and don't
> include passwords. However, I configured ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf as
> follows just in case it had anything to do with claws checking
> passwords:
> default-cache-ttl 999999
> max-cache-ttl 999999
> but it did nothing.

Your gpg-agent settings will control your interaction with gpg on your
system, not specifically in Claws Mail.

> I just wish to not have to type my account/gpg password incessantly;
> this is impractical.
>
> Where might I be going wrong? Or is it a bug?

Go to your account preferences in Claws Mail and enter your password on the
'Basic' page.

with regards

Paul