[Users] Simplify preparation for encryption

Christoph Klassen christoph.klassen at intevation.de
Thu Mar 3 08:38:08 UTC 2022

Good morning,

I want to make suggestions so that the usability of encryption in
different products will be increased. Some months ago I wrote that it
would be an improvement, if the privacy system would be selected
automatically after users loaded a plugin. A point against this was that
users can load multiple plugins at once so it isn't clear, what privacy
system they want to use.

Still, I hope that we can improve the usability of encryption in Claws
Mail. At first I want to focus on the preparation of the encryption.
Now, when users install Claws Mail they have to load the right plugins
and then they have to select the privacy system. Then the application is
ready to encrypt emails.

There are different possibilities to simplify the preparation:

1. The encryption plugins could be integrated in Claws Mail on default.
Then users only have to select a privacy system to begin with encryption.

2. The selection of plugins could be one step shorter. Now users have to
open the window "Plugins" before they click on "Load...". Then they
select the plugins they want to load and confirm. A different approach
is that users have to open the window "Plugins" and there can loading
plugins by toggling a check box. I attached an image with a mockup.
Hopefully with it it is more clear what I mean. If a plugin is not in
the default directory or users developed their own plugins users can
still use the button "Add custom plugin..." to add the plugin.

Greetings,

Christoph

--
Christoph Klassen | https://www.intevation.de/