[Users] mail.com

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 07:05:34 CET 2022

On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:01:59 +1200, Rolf Turner wrote:
>(5) I just looked over the mail.com web page a bit more and got the
>impression that it is set up to be used *only* via a web
>browser.  Is that correct? :-(

Hi,

no it's incorrect. I'm using a mail.com POP account with Sylpheed, but
it's an old account. It requires just a password, no "special" auth.
Since I'm not using it several times a day, I don't remember, if it's
one of those accounts that limit outgoing messages. Nowadays there's
probably the need to provide a cell phone number. When I created my
account it wasn't a requirement. Since I dislike cell phones, I don't
own a cell phone number, but even if I would like cell phones and if I
would have a cell phone number, I wouldn't be willing to hand this
number over to a "free" mail account provider.

From my point of view giving away a kidney and/or private data for an
email account that isn't free as in freedom, is more expensive than
paying with money for an account.

The best free account I'm using is a https://riseup.net/ account.
Excepted of an activist's account such as https://riseup.net/ , all free
as in freedom and/or beer accounts are a PITA.

Experiences I made with the accounts I'm using:

Usually they don't do things right and they dislike mailing-lists.
One sign for this is, if you see "Mrs. Doe via foo-list" instead of
"Mrs. Doe" or if your mails come through a mailing list, but you don't
receive your own mails.

One company buys another company and things change radically,
Rocketmail was taken over by Yahoo.

Or like Zoho a company seems to start user friendly and after a while
they obviously become hostile, e.g. support becomes weaker and weaker
until there's no support at all anymore.

Like Freenet some send emails with "recommendations" and "news".

All of this applies to a lot of payed accounts, too.

I suspect that it's off-topic for this list ;). I just wonder how Claws
can be used without an email account ;).

Regards,
Ralf