[Users] Sharing Config Between 2 Machines (Sync)

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Sat Jun 11 17:18:21 CET 2022

On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 16:48:26 +0000
Zach <zach at aoede.xyz> wrote:

> I have 2 Debian machines that I'd like to run Claws on, and have the same
> filters, settings, signatures, etc. I was thinking of using Syncthing to
> synchronize the ~/.claws-mail directory between the two machines. Does
> anyone know of any reason why sharing that directory would be a bad idea?
>
> Syncthing can use patterns to exclude folders from being synchronized, so
> I'd exclude ~/.claws-mail/imapcache/ at the least, as that directory seems
> to contain a lot of cruft.
>
> I would have the same MH directory structure on both machines as well
> (~/.LocalMail/ for example) so that there is no mismatch in what the
> configuration is pointing at. I've been synchronizing the local MH
> directories without issue for some time now.

This all seems like a good plan to me.

Sometimes a config change in Claws Mail, incrementing the config version, is
necessary. When this happens you need to ensure that both versions of Claws
Mail are the same. That is, if you run the newer config version on the older
Claws Mail, then you may run into problems.

with regards

Paul