[Users] Adding latest Google Policies to Win32 Version of Claws

Rosemary Lockie wishful99 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 6 07:09:03 CET 2022

On Sun, 05 Jun 2022 18:03:05 +0000.
"David Fletcher" <David at megapico.co.uk> wrote:

> Rosemary Lockie <wishful99 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >I have noted Michael Rasmussen's message to say that the latest git version has been
> >adopted to the latest Google policies, and have cloned it to investigate what changes
> >are needed to my clone of the claws-win32-installer to build the Win32 version of
> >Claws.
> >
> >My assessment is that I need to replace (at least) oauth2.c in
> >
> >~/claws-win32-installer/packages/claws-mail-3.19.0.tar.xz
> >
> >with the equivalent from the latest git.
> >
> >However I suspect there may be other files as well?
> >
> >Before I embark on this, can someone please advise if it is likely to be as "simple",
> >as to replace/update just a few source files?

David,

> You'd need prefs_account.c too as this has changed. However, since the
> changes affect the interface I'm not sure it will be simple to backport
> the git version (gtk3) into the 3.19 source (gtk2).

Yes, I was thinking there may be more to replace. I was wanting to stick with gtk2 for the
time being, as v3.18/9 is what I'm using now, on the basis of changing one thing at once!

Also as one of my machines is Windows 7, which doesn't support Python3, I've also
wondered whether Claws v.4 will need Python3 compatibility? Do you happen to know that?

> If you're just looking to make it work for Google the instructions below
> tell you the really crucial part you need to change in the 3.19 sources.

Yes, it is just that, for the time being, that I want to work. Then maybe later change
prefs_account.c.

> The new git version has some nice extras to remove the part where you
> have to manually copy the authorisation code in, but that's a 'nice to
> have' rather than essential.

Sounds good! :)

> Fixing the Google Oauth2 deprecation issue:

> (1) Replace
>     "urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob",
> with
>    "https://127.0.0.1:8888",
> on line 50 of claws-mail/src/oauth2.c

Duly noted! :-)

> (4) Oauth2 authorization - Use the normal Open default browser button, or
> copy the code to your browser. Go through the Google authorization
> process as normal. After completing this Google will forward you to a
> web page that does not exist. Copy the authorization code out of the URL
> and into the Claws Mail Authorization Code box. Make sure to copy just
> the code, not the whole URL, e.g. from the URL
> https://127.0.0.1:8888/?code=4/0AX4XfWiLeoP0OglH3-VeEIokX7Bm12L895CkWPlYqF3PkvqlhBtrjs7Aikxj_JeDk-xexQ&scope=https://mail.google.com/
>
> the code is this part:
> 4/0AX4XfWiLeoP0OglH3-VeEIokX7Bm12L895CkWPlYqF3PkvqlhBtrjs7Aikxj_JeDk-xexQ

Ah, yes, good to know what the change will be leading me into! :)

Thank you for all that, I'm most grateful! :)

Kind Regards,
Rosemary Lockie