[Users] Authorization error after setting up OAuth2

Littlergirl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:42:59 CET 2022

Hey there,

I finally had to set up OAuth2 because my mail finally stopped working
today without it and I've run into a wall right at the end. Here's the
error I'm getting:

https://imgur.com/a/ugw7IEe

And here are the 56 steps that I followed to get to it:

SET UP OAUTH2 ON GOOGLE:
1. Log into your Gmail account.
2. Open the Google API console on the https://console.developers.google.com/
page.
3. Create a new project (I didn't write down what I clicked to do that).
4. Open the project you created (I didn't write down what I clicked, if
anything to do that, and it may have opened automatically upon creation).
5. Click Credentials in the menu on the left.
6. Click Consent Screen to configure your consent screen.
7. Choose External for the User Type.
8. Click the CREATE button.
9. Fill in your Gmail user name as the App name, fill in your full Gmail
address as the User support email, browse to an image to use as the App
logo, and fill in your full Gmail address as the Developer email.
10. Click SAVE AND CONTINUE.
11. Click ADD OR REMOVE SCOPES.
12. Put a checkmark in the Gmail API entry's box if it's in the list or add
the https://mail.google.com/ URL manually at the bottom of the list if it's
not there. When adding it manually, it will be selected for you and the
list will close.
13. Click on UPDATE.
14. Scroll down to the Your restricted scopes section and make sure it
shows the entry that you just added.
15. Click on SAVE AND CONTINUE.
16. The initial publishing status will be Testing. To set this up, click +
ADD USERS.
17. Type in your full Gmail address and click ADD.
18. Click the X in the upper left corner of that pane to close it.
19. Check if the address was added to the Test users section. If not,
repeat steps 16 and 17, click SAVE, and skip step 18.
20. Click SAVE AND CONTINUE.
21. Click BACK TO DASHBOARD.
22. Click Credentials on the left.
23. Click + CREATE CREDENTIALS.
24. Click Oauth Client ID.
25. Choose Desktop Application.
26. Paste https://mail.google.com into the Authorized Javascript origins
section.
27. Click SAVE.
28. You'll receive a pop-up containing your client ID and client secret and
an offer to download them as JSON if you like.

SET UP OAUTH2 IN CLAWS MAIL:
1. Open the Configuration menu in Claws Mail.
2. Choose Edit accounts… from the menu.
3. Choose your Gmail account.
4. Click the Edit button.
5. Click Receive in the left pane.
6. Put a check-mark in the Authenticate before POP connection box.
7. Choose OAuth2 from the Authentication method drop-down menu.
8. Click the Apply button.
9. Click Send in the left pane.
10. Choose OAuth2 from the Authentication method drop-down menu.
11. Click the Apply button.
12. Click OAuth2 in the left pane.
13. Change the Select OAuth2 Email Service Provider drop-down to
Google/Gmail.
14. Paste the Client ID you got from your OAuth2 credentials into the
Client ID box.
15. Paste the Client secret you got from your OAuth2 credentials into
Client secret box.
16. Click the "Open default browser with request" button.
17. Choose your Gmail account.
18. Click the "Continue" link.
19. Click the "Continue" link.
20. Copy the authorization code it gives you.
21. Paste the code into the Authorization code box in Claws Mail.
22. Click the Authorize button.
23. Click the Cancel connection button after getting a warning about an
invalid certificate.
24. Close Claws Mail.
25. Do some Google searches.
26. Log onto Gmail in a browser.
27. Check through my settings to see if there's anything obvious I should
change (don't see anything).
28. Try to get help by writing this email.

Any help getting this across the finish line would be greatly appreciated.
If I can't fix this and am stuck using Gmail in a browser from now on
instead of in Claws Mail, I'll turn into a useless drooling husk in a dark
corner of a room and that's a future I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.