[Users] OpenMandriva - Claws unable to spellcheck

Edward epp at caramail.com
Sat Jul 23 21:32:27 UTC 2022

I tried out a image of what will eventually be OpenMandriva Rolling.

Upon creating a new email, Claws (4.0.0) displayed the following error:

Spell checker could not be started.
Couldn't initialize en_US dictionary:
(null)
Couldn't initialize en_US speller.

I checked to see what was installed for spellcheck packages and found
aspell and aspell-en. Hunspell was not installed, so once that was
installed (no other required dependencies were indicated), the error
persisted. In the Rolling repository, there were no individual language
packages listed for Hunspell.

Due to other issues I encountered with Rolling, I have decided not to
use it anymore, but wanted to post this info to the list, in hopes that
if there is a solution, someone else with the same issue would be able
to benefit.