[Users] From address tooltip (was Wrong email sender)

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Thu Jul 14 21:37:23 UTC 2022

On Thu, 14 Jul 2022 18:32:53 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2022 16:48:45 -0000
> Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> >It's the centre of the cursor which is significant.
>
> Which makes sense of the behaviour I see.  However, one expects the
> hot spot of a pointer to be the tip of the arrow head, and not
> elsewhere.  I assumed in my previous post that the hot spot was the
> tip of the arrow head.  I clearly got it wrong.

It must depend on context. In X windows the cursor hotspot is
constrained to be on screen at all times. If you have the usual
pointer, then just its upper left little bit is always visible; all the
rest of it can disappear offscreen. But if the cursor is for example
the 'drag-a-windows-right-edge' (i.e. a right-facing arrow with a
short vertical line centred at its tip) then it's again the tip of the
arrow that can't go offscreen (i.e. the right centre of the icon). So
clearly it's the hostspot that is important in these circumstances, and
the position of the hotspot within the icon can be different. Certainly
not always at the centre.